One of the known problems that happen amongst men at birth is Hypospadias. This is one birth defect in which the urine duct is not located at the penis tip but is somewhere underside. It is not totally displaced but often the displacement is at the backside closer to testicles as well. This may have a lot of problems, especially when passing the urine while standing. At times it could also interfere with sexual functioning. That is why the surgical correction of hypospadias and chordee is advised. The chordee penile repair is a surgical process for strengthening the penis and removing the fibrous tissues that result in bending.
How the surgery can bring the change:
The chordee penile repair focuses on getting the penis to its natural shape. This condition often is seen in the form of the penis being bent or covered and can cause erection issues as well. It is a pediatric urologist who will do this surgery.
This is around 3 hours of surgery and the person can leave on the same day past surgery. However, it requires professional care for the next 6 months.
The procedure usually involves the following steps:
- In this process, once the erection test results come, the urologist understands the curvature extent of it. This shall have the saline injection in the penis.
- The penis is then degloved so that excess skin can be removed. This would fasten the penis to type 1 chordee. Besides, the erection test will also be repeated for confirming if the penis is now straight.
- If there is still a curve noticed then the tissue around the urethra will be removed. And the test would be performed again
- If the bent after these two trials is still present then the process will be carried out at the site of the curved area to ensure the short and long sides of the penis are in equal length.
If the doctor has suggested this surgery it means there must have been possible complications that will be first checked such as:
- Psychological trauma
- Shortened penis
- Need for another operation
- Reaction to the anesthesia
Of all the most common signs that are immediately noticed is the penis shape curve. This could be in a downward direction or an upward direction as well. The curve can begin anywhere be it from the penis base that is close to testicles or at the beginning of the glans.
Other possible symptoms include:
- Dorsal hood
- Penile torsion
- The foreskin
- Skin tethering
- Webbed penis
There have been certain cases where men have complained about discomfort while having sex. This possibly could be because of the penis shape.
Before undergoing the chordee penile repair treatment process it is important to understand some facts associated with it. This process can only be done under professional health care experts’ guidance. No medicines can work for this treatment. It is only the surgery that needs to be done especially during infancy. If the treatment goes well then there will not be any problem for a long time. Rather the natural penile appearance will also be restored.